Friday, December 9, 2011

music is a memory

As D-day quickly approaches [44 days, holla!] I am getting my ducks in a row: Things to have on hand for the birthday. Ordering the birth pool liner. Ice cream bucket for the placenta. Say it with me in a spanish accent, PLAAACENTA. Drag out that A. Cheking off the list of midwife requested items: washcloths, towels, coconut water, witch hazel and jumbo jet 747 sized pads. But I've added my own important item thing on the list:
Birth play list! MUSIC!

I had a playlist prepared for Rue's birth, but when shove came to push [ha] all I wanted to listen to was Brian and Jenn Johnson's cd "Love Came Down". That sucker was on repeat for nearly 24 hours. Straight. I didn't want to listen to anything else. Afterwards, I was tempted to throw the cd into a bucket of gasoline and light a match. It was a gorgeous cd, tainted with crazy wonderful painful memories. I couldn't listen to it after [for a long time] without being lurched back to that place, and just turning it off.

Then tonight, it came on my iTunes and all I could do was smile as I remembered my 24 hour labor! It was a beautiful cd for me again! That makes me think I am more ready for this birth that I ever thought.

Isn't it amazing how music [and scent!] can contain such sensory memories and bring us right back to a specific moment in time?

OK, off I go to start compiling my song list. Any recommendations?



5 comments:

Courtney said...

I've loved these last couple posts, Yana!! We're not ready to start trying for #2 yet, but reading about your journey is definitely inspiring!

Rita Springer's "worth it all" played on repeat while I was in labour...it's definitely ruined for me for all other times except reminiscing about the day Eden was born. ;)

I have been MIA in the blog world, I don't even think I sent over a congratulations on baby GIRL!! hurray!! So happy for you!

Unknown said...

When I labored with R, I had my Tibetan Singing Bowl music on repeat. It seems like you would prefer music with words, so this may not be for you, but I found the simple repetition of the deep bell sounds to be so calming and soothing. Here's a page where you can hear samples:

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Sounds-Tibetan-Singing-Waterfall/dp/B001NMT8LQ

Samantha said...

Oooh, the music is such an essential part of the atmosphere. And, like you said, you will never forget the association between that song and those moments. Ever. Better put a lil' rap music in the shuffle this time. I think it's gonna be quick(er). ;)

heather sinnott said...

i haven't heard this song actually song by them, what cd is it on?

Yana said...

Hi Courtney, long time no see! Or rather hear :)
Thank you, we are so excited to meet her.

ShelookslikeaMom - I'm going to check out your suggestion! Thanks!

Sam, that is my greatest hope- quick!

Heather, it's the title track from their Acoustic album "Love Came Down".. It's a beautiful cd.