Good memories last a lifetime.
A certain memory that always comes to mind when I hear a song by the Innocence Mission was about two and a half years ago, in New Orleans. I was on a date with my then boyfriend, Freddy. We were driving on St. Charles with the windows down. The air was so balmy and sweet. The dreamy folky Innocence Mission was playing and I had my arm out the window. My temple was pressed against my arm as the air gently flowed off my face and through my hair. It felt in that moment that time had paused and that all was well in the world. Everything would work out fine. I didn't know if I would marry Fred, and I didn't care. I knew my roommates were the worst roommates in the world, but I didn't care. There were so many things askew in my life, but in that moment everything was perfect.
Shortly after that Fred & I broke up, and I moved out of my apartment, leaving a months rent, my kitchen table, and scarcely a goodbye. There was no way around regretting decisions that summer, but at least I have that one memory to bring a smile to my face. Still.
1 comment:
Isn't it funny how our memories work? A song, a smell, or just a glimpse of something in a certain light can trigger something in our heads.
By the way, you write beautifully!
Post a Comment