
I've devoured this book in less than a week. Recommended by a friend, it has informed me of so many things about birthing & hospitals I didn't know. I love being informed. Ignorance isn't bliss, it's entrapment. Information is power, and what's better than being empowered? Especially when it comes to giving birth!?
You are what you eat, and you are what you read!
Do you have a book about babies/birthing/pregnancy that you would recommend to me?
4 comments:
Gosh, I read so many. That's a good one and sums a lot of the information up. Of course that didn't stop me from reading every single book I could get ahold of. Hmmm... If you are planning a natural childbirth I really liked 'The Birth Partner' because it tells you (or your support person really, but I wanted to know too) what to do WHILE YOU ARE IN LABOR to help. For instance, when it is appropriate to like, squat or get in the tub or get a massage or whatever and what to look for as signs that labor is progressing. Knowing labor patterns ahead of time is helpful. It isn't always exactly the same for everyone, but as the general stages are pretty similar, whether they take weeks or hours to go through. I was also having a lot of prelabor/prodromal labor and back pain in the final week and totally diagnosed myself with having a posterior baby AND read about what exercises to do, all from reading that book. And I was right. She was posterior. The exercises didn't end up turning her, but I knew I had taken the appropriate measures and that she was just meant to come out sunnyside up. I'm sure there are others-- I'll go look at my notes! :) So excited for you!
What to Expect When your Expecting is a Good One. And all the series that follow too. :)
~kirstie (like thirsty)
Yay! for being informed. I so wish I had known all of this stuff before having Levi. I walked into that one a total ditz, and don't at all recommend it. Good for you for doing your homework!
i hate to disagree with one of the comments above... but i would actually recommend staying away from the "what to expect" books as they tend to frighten people with all the "what ifs". i'm a doula, childbirth educator and home-birth apprentice and i always recommend "ina may's guide to childbirth" - it's fantastic. you'll definitely like it if you enjoyed "the thinking woman's guide". :) if you have any questions at all, please do ask!!! congratulations, yana!!! xxx
Post a Comment