Monday, October 5, 2009

babyyy roooom

Oh the joy's of renovation.
My baby's room never knew that joy, until now. Last year while we worked tirelessly on nearly the entire house for nine months, by the time we finished with the 'uber important top priority must finish in order to live rooms' the baby's room....(aka the storage room, second closet, random things room) got left alone in it's pitiful un-redone state. After all, it was the 'future' baby room. In other words, we full well didn't intend to USE it as the BABY room for a few years. 4 pregnanc sticks, laughs and tears later, surprise surprise!

So here I am, looking at 4 months left on the calendar to make a space for our little dude, and thinking I gotta get movin'!! So I did! I've begun fixing the walls, and as I type, the rooming is drying and waiting for a second coat, hooorah! I need to repaint all the trim and doors. I knooowwwww that people say don't paint, VOC toxins, blah blah. BUT I HAVE TO! I can't wait for help. I'm wearing a mask and well ventilating....any other tips? For paint colors, I've been hanging around the 'oops' paint section at our hardware stores. For 5 dollars a gallon, I can't complain! And it's kind of a fun game to see what they'll have!

The next big thing is the Crib. Where the heck do I find a cool inexpenxive crib? I've scoured Target, Babies r us, Craigslist, Ikea....and I'm hardly impressed. The ones I DO love are over 1k. Ack! Any suggestions???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ask a friend or friend of a friend if they are willing to give you theirs (if they are done with it). We got our crib as a handmedown. You'll quickly find out that handmedowns are the only way to pay the way for your bebe'. Everything is SO expensive for babies and they grow out of everything within a few months. So ask around fo sho!

PS- Rummage sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army, 2nd-Hand stores, Antique Stores, friends who are carpenters. lol

Marcella said...

let me know what your interested in, i Own a modern baby store in CA. and Id love to help ya out....I carry Oeuf, Nurseryworks, Litto, bloom, etc.
email me info@shopdrool.com

Madeline said...

Don't even bother with a crib! They are expensive, and I have a feeling you're gonna want that baby cuddled up next to you. You should definitely check into cosleeping. I bought Levi a crib, and he has seriously almost never slept in it. When he was a newborn (and I was doped up on painkillers post-c-section) I didn't feel comfy with him in the bed with me, so he slept in a cradle smack up next to the bed so I could make sure he was still breathing every 5 seconds (oh, you too will soon know that joy). I had a pack and play at my parents house which was nice too for the few naps that he spent not in a sling or wrap. He still sleeps in the bed with me, and I'm telling you waking up to that sweet face is better than coffee.

Stephanie said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm so very excited for you!

RE: cribs. I am totally with Madeline. We bought a crib for our first baby...and never used it (so we ended up giving it away). We've since had our second baby and we remain blissfully crib-less. :)

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net