'Confessions of a New Mom' has been rolling around in my head for the past 7 weeks, and what a humbling 7 weeks they have been. I want the series to be a very honest look at being a new mom, full of wonders, questions, concerns, tears & laughs.
Cheers to Motherhood!
1. So, you spend 9 months incubating a human. They stretch your body out to extremes you didn't know possible. You visit every public bathroom in your city because they love to use your bladder as a pillow. You plan, prepare, nest, spend money, and bother folding all the little itty bitty clothes and stack them neatly in their dresser. Then D-Day comes. You labor. Long and Hard. Hours or days later, somehow...you squeeze a melon out a hole the size of a lemon drop.
Your baby is hoisted up onto your chest, and instantly you're in flutterby-twitterpated-love. But, instead of going to a day spa to rest, heal and an recuperate, full with all you can drink cocktails, you have to care for a newborn. A pooping, crying, newborn. You waddle like you rode a bucking bronco for a few days and your derrière is 'out of order'. Your girl bits? Well, let's just hope your husband doesn't scream like a little girl when he sees 'it' for the first time?
OH THE JOYS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT.
2. I cried as much as he did the first three weeks.
3. household chores and laundry hava taken a back seat since Rue arrived. Between the constant feeding, holding, feeding, nuzzling, feeding, changing, feeding, burping... [did I mention FEEDING??] it's considered a 'productive day' if I've showered, brushed my teeth and am wearing mascara.
4. Ruehl is exploring his vocal chords, and nothing thrills my heart more than to hear him cooing, and gurgling. He also gave us his first smile at 6 weeks. Best moment ever.
5. It's very difficult to type one handed.
6. I'm an open bar, and my son is a milk-a-holic. No. Seriously. Feeding every 1.5-2 hours, at 40-50 minutes per feed....I'm basically one big PERMA BOOB.
7. Parenthood is more incredible, beautiful and awesome than I could've dreamed. It's also more humbling and challenging than I expected. I guess it's just one of those things that no one can explain. You just have to experience it for yourself.
7 comments:
You summed it up perfectly! Seriously, that was awesome, and oh so true!!!!!!!
well put!
xoxo,
allegra
And, yet many of us still go on to have more of the little rugrats. They are well worth it, but oh. my. freaking stars. are those first months tough.
Perfectly said. The feeding thing is so hard to get used to. It's also why I think a lot of women I know throw in the towel. My son ate every 1.5 to 2 hours when he was that age too and he took FOREVER to feed. (add to that 1 pump session an hour after his first morning feed. This meant that I was attached to a person or a pump for at least 30 minutes of every hour between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m.) Shower and mascara? Oh...you are doing AWESOME if you can manage a shower! Yay! After about 3 or 4 months, they feed A LOT faster and more efficiently. It will only take about 15 to 20 minutes. This is a great post. You are doing great!
Best,
T
haha so true, all I can do is laugh as I am going on number 3. Somehow God erases that from our memories so we will have more ;)
This is exactly how I've been feeling the past three months! I love this and your blog.
New follower!
welcome to the fun, Allie! thanks for following.
Post a Comment