Wednesday, November 17, 2010

7 foods even farmers won't eat




I am a bit of a granola. I might not look like one or smell like one, but I do pay attention to what I put in my body. I love to cook as much home grown, farm bought, fresh and natural foods as possible. I am always looking for little things I can do to improve mine, and my family's health.
Since I'm not made of money, I can't buy everything organic, but I do what I can.

I recently found an interesting article '7 foods even a farmer won't eat'. My interest was piqued and I checked it out. No surprise, microwave popcorn was on there. But canned tomatoes?
It's definitely worth reading!

Have you heard of the 'dirty dozen'? It's a list of foods that contain the most pesticides when non-organic.

12 Most Contaminated
  • Peaches
  • Apples
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Celery
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Grapes (Imported)
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes
12 Least Contaminated
  • Onions
  • Avocado
  • Sweet Corn (Frozen)
  • Pineapples
  • Mango
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet Peas (Frozen)
  • Kiwi Fruit
  • Bananas
  • Cabbage
  • Broccoli
  • Papaya

Also, I heard that buying organic coffee is a must-do!
Found both lists here.

Hope this helps you to deicide what foods you should buy organic, and what you can afford!

Happy shopping!

xo, Y


2 comments:

emily anderson said...

man, i knew about the dirty dozen, but the 7 foods even your farmer won't eat, knocked me out of my seat.

thanks for sharing!

Yana said...

seriously, I was shocked about the potatoes and apples! I have been trying to buy only organic for those two items now.

but canned tomatoes!?
yikes.