I'm turning a quarter of a century this july, and besides the typical getting wiser stuff, the thing I've come to realize more and more is I.am.my.mother. Has anyone else come to that realization?? {gasp!} As a kid, I idolized her! She was beautiful, talented, dressed so cool, and was the best smelling mom ever and all my friends loved her. I wanted to be her. Then I turned teen horror, I didn't like her as much because she nagged me. There were so many things about her I swore I would never resemble, but now I appreciate her for who she is, and realize that I have evolved into a woman so similar to her...and I'm proud of that. I laugh like her. I'm dramatic, like her. We both dance the same, and most of the time it's terrible and should spare others the embarressment. I argue with my husband like she argues with my dad. Sometimes we nag too.
At 54, my mother is a stunning woman. In look and deed she's graceful. She hosts the best dinner parties and can make a boring room light up with her laughter. She is always blessing others around her with gifts or compliments. But what I love most about her is her heart; she loves the poor. Right now she is in India, with 4 of her friends, on a garbage dump tour- searching out the poorest areas of a city and brings food, joy, love, prayer and God to every person she meets. How radical is that? I hope that when I grow up I will be just like her and will have a heart full of love for others less fortunate than we.
[she texted me today from India- "watching gramm y luv radiohead with marching band love mom'' - {She just learned how to text this year}
Photos- My dad and mom last year:
My mom and Sting:Mmmhmm. While shopping in the Grand Bazarre in Istanbul, she met Sting. He's so dreamy.

4 comments:
Your mom sounds like a wonderful person, and it looks like you are your mother after all. Reminds me of a mirror I saw once. Etched into it was the phrase: "Mirror, mirror on the wall, I am my mother after all."
Thanks so much for your encouraging comments. They were such a blessing.
You're welcome Madeline.
Hopefully I'll step into her shoes someday, but that's allota shoe to fill. She's also an artist, writer, bible scholar, teacher, and professional shopper. ;)
She is SO beautiful! Love the picture with Sting.
It's such a wonderful thing, to realize you are like someone you admire so much
Post a Comment