Thursday, March 5, 2009

raw, vegan, vegetarian & carnivore

About 6 years ago I was infected with a parasite, or ameoba, and it began to affect my joints in a manner similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis. I went from a fully functioning happy 19 year old, to a depressed and at times, bed ridden girl. I could barely move with out excruciating pain, and sleeping was diffcult. After finding a doctor and taking some perscription drugs without much sucess or relief, my family thought the only option left is to consult an herbalist. I moved to California and sought out the care of an herbalist, Ronda. She put me on a hard core regime of herbs, raw foods and juices. It took an incredible amount of money, time and effort to be a raw foodist, but I began to see some changes in my body. Cutting all processed foods and dairy from my diet helped my joints trememdously. I ate raw food for 3 years and then moved to PA, where the weather is cold. I couldn't take another cold winter day without some hot food in my belly, so I changed my diet to vegan. At this point I was still in a lot of pain. Hot showers in the morning were crucial to my movement, and stairs were still daunting. Things gradually got better, and I began to eat dairy again. Probably not the best idea....but I love cream in my coffee! Then, I fell in love, and that helped me to feel better, if not phsyically, emotionally. He's so encouraging and helpful. Once we got married I began cooking a lot of delicious things that I know I shouldn't eat...meat. As my friend Lauren says, 'Meat, is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.'

While I have not regained full movement of my joints, currently I am functioning at the highest capacity I have in 6 years. I'm excercising, stairs are no problem, I can lift heavy things and I have energy. But yet, I reconized the need to do more. To be better to my body. So I have begun juicing again. I don't think I will cut out meat or dairy completely, but I know that if I can increase my fresh juices daily and limit processed foods, meats and dairy....I am on the road to recovery quicker than I think.

I didn't intend for this to be such a long post, but I wanted to encourage anyone who wants to be better to their bodies or if you are dealing with health problems yourself - we can heal ourselves through the natural things God has placed on this earth. Just have faith, stay positive, make good choices and be gentle on yourself if you dont always pick the carrot over the ice cream bar.

xo, Y

3 comments:

Madeline said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been through, but it is such an encouragement to see the healing power of food. We are so hard on our bodies with everything we eat. Although, I will admit that I splurge OFTEN. I do try to stick to a healthy low processed, low meat and dairy diet. And when I succeed I feel good emotionally and physically. I'll be praying for your continued recovery and health.

Erin said...

Oh, I completely believe in the healing power of food and love! :) I have actually just recently started eating fish again and am planning to blog soon about my changing diet. I am happy that you are on the road to recovery and pray that soon you will be completely healed. It is inspiring to hear about your journey. Thank you for sharing.. it was something I really needed to hear. :)

Anonymous said...

boy o boy. What'r we girls into? I've had similar issues for years myself. I did a raw food detox from the Raw Divas (amazing blog, you must see: http://therawdivas.com/blog/). They were so good about supporting me thru it all and I felt so healthy and happy when I started...but, I still like meat and cooked foods. I don't wanna go vegan. :P I have incorporated the smoothies and more raw fruits and veggies into my daily life however and I've found weight loss from baby but, still no healing with the digestive issues. My Mother says it's emotional. I'm praying for healing in that and believing God will do it. (Sigh)