Chris and I have decided to have a home birth. It was pretty much decided all along, but we had to find a midwife, and I think we've found our woman!
This topic of 'homebirth' has stirred up alllllllllllllllllllllllll kinds of reactions from people. Some good, mostly bad. [such as the following:]
"WHAT?!!? But that's so dangerous."
"Homebirth's are illegal"
"Well....You don't know any better!!"
"I love my epidural. Why would you choose pain???."
People act like I'm a deranged one legged super hero who is trying to save the world with sunshine. It's discouraging and unnerving, and more aggravating than Rachel Ray's voice. Grrrrrrr. Some reactions are good, but people few and far between have actually been encouraging [and for those of you that have, I salute you!!] So, somewhere, somehow I need to muster up enough balls to be a steel trap of confidence and attitude about the healthy, wonderful and exciting choice my husband and I have made together. I have read so many books already that promote home births, and at times that's all I have to keep me going.
If any of you have good stories/encouragements/book suggestions to encourage the homebirthing tiger in me, please pass them on! And if you don't have anything nice to say, than keep yo negative nancy opinions to yourself. I just dont need em! :)
I just needed to rant. There. thanks. i feel better.
Tomorrow I take my 19 week belly pics...hope to get em up soon!
xoxoxoxox
10 comments:
I think it's rockin' awesome that you're going the homebirth route!!! So glad you've found a midwife. From what I've heard I would suggest finding a doula as well. If you need inspiration read Levi's birth story...that should sufficiently scare you away from hospitals at least. Don't listen to negative nancy comments. They just don't know any better. You do. And, that's a blessing to be exceptionally grateful for.
Oh, I completely support and encourage your decision to have a homebirth! I had both of my boys naturally, without an epidural or any other pain killers. With my first I had a midwife in connection with the hospital. So, although I gave birth to him there, it was a much more personal intimate process. My second I had a a hospital as well, but nobody was in the room when I started pushing and I pretty much delivered him on my own. (The doctor ran in at the last minute to catch him and cut the cord.) If I ever have another one, I am without a doubt having a homebirth! Although I'm sure there are a lot of misconceptions out there and you might get a lot of negative feedback, just stay true to what you feel is the right thing for you. To me there is nothing more natural than the idea of birthing a child within the safe comfort of your own nest. :)
it is CRAZY how different baby-birth (don't know what to call it!) is done in the US of A...in england lots of mummies choose a home-birth (i think my sister is having one for her next babe-p.s you must talk to her about her AMAZING labour!) and even if you opt for hospital they chuck you out after 12 hrs max! NO ONE gets an epidural unless there is some ridiculous complication. and all of these women and babies are alive and happy and healthy...ha! xo
AND yana, i LOVE your blog - you are too cute!
Go for it no turning back! I'm a Nurse Practitioner and as one, I support your decision fully. Women have delivered at home for centuries with other women (i.e. lay midwives)overseeing. It sounds like you have done your research and laid out the ground work in prep for the home birth so bravo, you are set!! I've had natural births...one almost in the car because I waited too long to go to the birthing center...and looking back I should've just stayed at home! To each his own and this is your own... stay strong, stay true! Blessings - Beth
way to go, yana!!! if i were you - i would shout it from the rooftops! i'm DEFINITELY having a home-birth when i'm pregnant some-day. as a doula and midwifery student, i've seen my fair share of births - both in and out of the hospital and i now ONLY go to home-births. i find the hospital to be scary, sterile and often unfriendly for an expecting mom, partner and baby. if you (or anyone) were to do the research and read the books and look at the world-wide stats... it's objectively conclusive that home-birth is as safe or safer than the hospital if a trained attendant is present and you're within 15 miles from a hospital. you're definitely NOT making a bad or irresponsible choice. those who say otherwise are simply not educated on the matter. they're speaking from what their own fears and not from the facts. home-births are beautiful, intimate and usually quicker and more peaceful. if you have ANY questions or need anything - please feel free to ask. cheers little mamma!!!
I am SO thankful for all of your encouraging comments and thoughts...you have NO idea!!! :)
It's really such an exciting thing and I am so confident about this decision. I'm continually praying for the baby, and the delivery, that God would have His hand on every aspect of this pregnancy, including my heart and emotions. I know that I know nothing to fear, even though this is totally unknown territory for me.
I think the birth will be even more beautiful and relaxed than i can imagine.
yippee!
I wish I had known more about homebirth when I had my first two. Unfortunately, I had them both @ the hosp. It was aweful! After speaking with many friends who have experienced both options I have never heard a bad homebirth story. But I have heard many horrible hospital births. So needless to say when we go for #3 I am going with Homebirth as well. And my hubby agrees ;)
May god bless you and give strength and peace throughout your pregnancy. Such a beautiful gift.
I found your blog after reading your comment on Erin's (Olive Tree Community) blog. I am a HUGE fan of homebirth, and a birth junkie! I love to talk about birth and babies all the time. :) I am excited for your decision to have a homebirth! You go girl and don't let others negative comments hold you back! Have you watched The Business of Being Born? Excellent documentary by Rikki Lake. I just gave birth to our 2nd baby in May and had a homebirth that turned into an unplanned, unassisted birth since she came so fast. :) You can read her birth story at my blog and see photos too. http://pregnancy-birth-and-babies.blogspot.com/
Here is my other blog as well
http://thesimplelife-marcy.blogspot.com/
Nice to "meet" you! I look forward to reading more of your posts and learning more about you and your life. :)
Hey Yana, I had read this a while ago and thought this might be helpful as you decide what is best for you and your little bundle.
http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/2009/09/on-childbirth.html
Blessings, Molly
Post a Comment